Abortion pills in Vietnam
Abortion is offered for pregnancies up to 23 weeks 6 days of gestation. The procedure takes as little as 15 minutes, but the entire visit takes anywhere from four hours to all day due to your recovery from pain medication. If you choose to receive pain medications, please plan on a ride home with a person you know, as we will not allow you to drive. Abortion pills in Vietnam
Call now to ask about the cost of abortion health services. Our staff can help you with financial issues, including insurance coverage, non-insurance payment options, and assistance funds. Our staff can also help you with resources for travel and lodging if you need them.
Is abortion legal in Vietnam?
Abortion has been legal in Vietnam since 1975. In 1989, the Law on Protection of People’s Health stated that women have the right to have abortions; to receive gynecological diagnosis and treatment; health check-ups during pregnancy, and medical services when giving birth at health facilities.
Vietnam provides both medical and surgical abortion services. For medical abortion (MA), a combination of two drugs, Mifepristone and Misoprostol, is used. Surgical procedures that are available are Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA) and Dilation and Evacuation (D&E). The services are available under the following circumstances:
- Up to 22 weeks: MA methods are available however the uses are different from 3 stages: (1) before 10 weeks, (2) 10 to 12 weeks, (3) 13 – 22 weeks
- 6 to 12 weeks: Manual Vacuum Aspiration (MVA)
- 13 to 18 weeks: Dilation and Evacuation (D&E)
Who can perform abortion services in Vietnam?
Medical doctors, obstetricians gynecologists and college-level midwives trained in MVA (Manual Vacuum Aspiration) and MA (medical abortion by pill) can perform abortions in Vietnam.
Where can I go for abortion services in Vietnam?
Abortion services are widely available both at public and private health facilities across Vietnam. According to the Ministry of Health 2016 National Guidelines on SRH services, abortion services can be provided at any health facility certified by the Provincial Health Department. It is recommended that women seek pre-abortion counseling in certified health facilities.
All abortion pills are effective and common. But some are more expensive than others.
There is no need to go for expensive pills as even the cheap ones do the same thing.
What is critical is to make sure that you are getting the right thing. That is what you should focus on.
Which abortion procedure is the safest?
Both terminations with a pill and surgical are very safe. Just make sure you get the right pills and make sure you do surgical abortion in a clinic.
- MA costs around Vietnamese Dong (VND) 100,000 (approx. 4.4 USD) in public sectors and up to 448,640 or 560,800 (approx. 20 to 25 USD) in private sectors.
- MVA costs VND 89,728 to 157,024 (approx. 3.9 to 7 USD), and D&E costs VND 1,794,560 to 2,243,200 (approx. 80 to 100 USD). The costs may vary at private sector health facilities.
- Nang Moi Clinic is the only private-sector facility that provides free abortion services for adolescents in Hanoi
Can I buy abortion pills at a pharmacy in Vietnam?
According to Vietnamese law, it is legally restricted to buy abortion pills at a pharmacy.
Who can I contact for additional abortion information and support in Vietnam?
Certified pharmacists can only dispense abortion pills if there is a valid prescription or order slip provided by a certified doctor or health provider.
Who can I contact for additional information and support?
There are several resources and helplines available in Indonesia that answer your queries. They are as follows:
- For safe abortion information and support, please contact the following:
The disadvantages of a medical abortion are:
- Heavy and painful bleeding for a few days.
- Can’t be performed after nine weeks of pregnancy.
- The process is longer (over the course of days versus a few hours).